What is wellness
I’m sure many of us heard the term wellness, but aren’t quite sure what that means. Sure, it means to be well but there’s much more to it. Wellness has many dimensions that can be described as the “quality or state of being healthy in mind and body.” Wellness, can also be described as a healthcare approach that “emphasizes preventing illness and prolonging life as opposed to emphasizing treating diseases” (Dictionary.com).
We like that 🙂
What Are the Eight Dimensions of Wellness?
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) describes wellness as having eight dimensions:
- Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being
- Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
How can learning about wellness help me?
As eloquently said in an 80’s cartoon, “knowing is half the battle.” Really, the more you know about what it means to be well, the easier it is to make healthy life decisions. As a result, you can incorporate healthier life strategies into your daily routine to boost your mental health and your physical health.
Click here to learn about wellness strategies that can have a positive impact on your life and mental well being.
RELATED ARTICLES TOPICS AND PAGES
Share your story with the community. Click here to contact us about doing a SETH TALK.
Interested in becoming a guest writer for Seth’s Mom. Click here to contact us.